There are plenty of opportunities for you to use your newly gained cross-cultural interests
and experiences at Marquette. The following are suggestions, but keep an open mind and feel free to
try out your own ideas, as well!
Student Organizations and Volunteering
- Volunteer to help out at study abroad meetings or meet with
prospective study abroad students.
- Take classes with an international component, and continue
taking classes in your second language
- Become active at the Office of International Education:
— Volunteer at International Student Orientation
— Volunteer with the ESL program
— Participate in language exchanges
— Work in the Office of International Education Program Center
- Help re-establish an internationally focused student organization that would be open to all Marquette students interested in international
issues and cross-cultural experiences.
- Become involved in the Multi-Cultural
Center: Participate in activities with an international,
multicultural or ethnic focus.
- Share an apartment/room with an international student. Contact Daniel
Bergen for information about the Global Village Ambassador Program.
- Become involved in student
organizations with an international or
— Amnesty International
— Classics Club (Dr. Stephen Beall)
— Classics Honor Society (Dr. Patricia Marquardt)
— French Honor Society, Pi Delta Phi (Dr. Sarah Gendron)
— Irish Club
— Italian Club
— Spanish Honor Society — Sigma Delta Pi (Dr. German Carrillo)
Express Yourself ... Creatively!
- Participate in photo/essay contests, such as the Transitions
Abroad study abroad/travel
- Submit your pictures or writing to the Marquette
Tribune or Marquette
articles for magazines interested in study abroad experiences
a magazine that publishes personal experiences of students who are or have been involved in an international
Abroad View Magazine, which publishes
student pieces discussing study
abroad issues, global awareness, cultural views
and world conditions
Transitions Abroad, which welcomes
submissions from students
- Explore the rich ethnic opportunities in Milwaukee, including
art, events, film, food, theatre and more, at onmilwaukee.com.
- Become involved in local organizations — Alliance Francaise, MPS' Spanish Immersion School, ESL volunteer programs — related to your host
country and/or its ethnic heritage and language.