Did you know that fall of junior year is often the most important semester for recruitment? Why? Many organizations consider an internship as the first step into a full-time position with the company.
How will you prepare? Get started now!
- Participating in career-related events is an important way to learn about your interests and build the skills and experiences employers are seeking!
- Employers interviewing for internships look for students to offer experience through class projects, job shadows/office visits, student organizations, volunteerism, part-time jobs, case competitions, and more.
To support your efforts, the Business Career Center will reward each first year student who completes five approved career-related events with a padfolio to use at interviews, meetings and networking events. Business majors entering Marquette in fall 2017 or later are eligible. Participation will be tracked in the grades section of your LEAD 1050 D2L website. Business Career Center staff will enter event attendance into the LEAD 1050 D2L site within one week of the event.
Approved Events: Review the list below for approved “First Year Challenge Events.” If you are interested in an event not on this list, complete our event approval request form at least two days before the career event and Business Career Center (BCC) staff will consider the event for program eligibility. Additional events will be added to this list as they are posted to Handshake.
Event Tracking: BCC staff will track event attendance through MUID swipe check-in. If you are at an approved event without MUID check-in, take a selfie of yourself at the event (with something to identify the event in the background) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org within five business days of the event.
Student Organization Meetings: If you participate in a student organization meeting with an employer guest speaker, take a selfie of yourself at the meeting with the speaker or his/her presentation slides in the background and email it to email@example.com within five business days of the meeting.
Spring 2018 Events
- JC Penny Suit-Up Event, Jan. 28
- Accounting & Corporate Finance Netorking Night, Jan. 30
- KPMG Post-Test Pizza, Feb. 9
- Marketing Networking Event, Feb. 13
- Java & Jobs (IT / IS Networking), Feb. 15
- WorkForce Career & Internship Fair, Feb. 20. RSVP here. Transportation details here.
- 2018 Intros and Innovation Night, Feb. 21
- Manufacturing in America, March 1
- Student-Run Business Launch Event, March 2
- Human Resources Roundtable & Networking Event, March 5
- Supply Chain Management on Blockchain, March 20
- Speed Networking Event: Mocktails & Meetups, April 5
- Latinx/Hispanic Career Meet-UP, April 11
- Women in Business Speaker Series, April 16
Fall 2017 Events
- J.P. Morgan Information Session, Sept. 7
- Interviewing Secrets from a Recruiter with Nielsen, Sept. 7
- Accounting Internship Planning Meeting, Date Option 1, Sept. 15
- Accounting Internship Planning Meeting, Date Option 2, Sept. 18
- Real Estate Strategies Conference, Sept. 18
- JP Morgan: Let’s Talk Commercial Banking, Tuesday, September 19. Because this is a virtual event, to track this event, take a screen shot of the webinar and email it to the BCC.
- Mortenson Behind the Scenes Tour: Wisconsin Entertainment and Sports Center, Tuesday, September 19 (Take a selfie at this event and email it to the BCC for tracking).
- Rockwell Automation Design Challenge, Sept. 23, RSVP by Sept. 18 at 11:59 p.m.
- Creating Your Personal Brand in the First 90 Days, Wednesday, September 20
- Amazon Information Session, Sept. 25
- BizNet (Information Systems & Supply Chain Networking), Sept. 26, RSVP by Sept. 18 at 11:59 p.m.
- MU Fall Career Fair: Non-Tech Day, Sept. 27
- MU Fall Career Fair: Tech Day, Sept. 28
- GE Healthcare Small Group Networking (and Information Session), Oct. 3
- Charter Wire Site Visit & Tour, October 6, RSVP by Sept. 29 at 11:59 p.m.
- Ins and Outs of Wall Street, Oct. 7
- BMO Office Hours, Oct. 12
- Robert W. Baird Information Session, Oct. 26
- Business Leaders Forum, Nov. 1
- Careers in Finance, Nov. 3
Questions: Contact the Business Career Center | firstname.lastname@example.org | 414.288.7927 | David Straz room 277