MEETING of the SUBCOMMITTEE on ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
MONDAY 17 MARCH 2003
Present: Margaret Bull, Joe Collins (Chair), Scott Dale, Andris Jaunberzins, William Pink, Michael Schilke, Bob Stango, and Steven Taylor.
1. The meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m.
2. The minutes of the meeting on 24 February 2003 were approved with minor corrections.
3. A motion was made to reaffirm the five expectations of the SAA for a program elimination policy. With amendments these five expectations read as follows:
· that the process leading to a final decision be based on a consideration of all relevant factors (need correct, good data)
· that the same degree of care used in proposing a program, and a reasonable amount of time should be given before eliminating a program (needs of all stakeholders considered)
· that the policy is to be applied across the board, i.e., at the administrative, college and department levels
· the criteria for program elimination should be consistent with the stated vision and mission of Marquette University
· should a program be eliminated arrangements will be made for students in the program to complete their degree requirements and graduate within the usual timeframe for their program.
The motion was seconded, with amendments and passed unanimously.
4. Discussion commenced concerning a flowchart for a program elimination procedure. There was discussion of who is to be informed and when. What is a reasonable time scale for notification of all stakeholders and administrative units? Bob Stango noted our concerns and agreed to bring a draft flow chart to our next meeting on 14 April.
5. We agreed to hold an election for the next chair of the SAA at the meeting on 14 April 2003. Those who cannot attend this meeting are requested to give their proxy votes to a fellow SAA member.
6. Our last meeting of this semester will be on Monday 14 April 2003 at
11:00 a.m. in Room 372 of the Physics Building. The agenda includes:
1. Discussion of the next draft of the Program Elimination Procedures
by Mike Schilke.
2. Discussion of the draft Flow Chart for the Program Elimination
Procedure by Bob Stango.
3. Election of a chair for the SAA.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 12:00 p.m.
Minutes Submitted by Joe Collins