LinkedIn is a social networking website for people in professional occupations.
It is possibly THE most important tool in your job search tool box.
Get started by watching these quick, must-see videos (all under 5 minutes):
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 1: What is LinkedIn?
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 2: Building your professional brand
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 3: Finding and pursuing your career passion
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 4: Building and maintaining a professional network
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 5: Turning relationships into opportunities
- LinkedIn Grad Guide: Video 6: Researching and prepping for interviews
Create LinkedIn Profile at http://www.linkedin.com
LinkedIn is a social networking site for people in professional occupations. It is possibly THE most important tool in your job search toolbox.
NEW! Job Search Checklist by LinkedIn college expert Lindsey Pollack
your resume can be used to complete most sections (don't have a resume? Start here)
- Photo: Adding a professional-looking photo makes it seven times more likely you'll be found in searches
- Headline: Stand out with a keyword-rich headline that describes how you want to be known on LinkedIn
- Summary: Write a brief summary describing your professional background and aspirations
- Experience: List all the jobs you've held, along with brief descriptions of each role
- Tip: Your current position (for students: include STUDENT and major plus any internship, leadership, activity, or career-related position)
- Education: Add all the schools and colleges you've attended
- Skills and expertise: Add at least five key skills to your profile
- Recommendations and endorsements: Get recommendations and endorsements from former colleagues,
clients, managers, and classmates
- Location and industry: Add your industry and ZIP code so recruiters looking for candidates like you can find you
- URL: Customize your profile URL and put it on your website, resume, email signature, and business cards to drive traffic to your LinkedIn profile
- Privacy settings: Control what others see about you and what types of notifications are sent out
- Add email addresses: Add all your email addresses to avoid accidentally losing access to your account
- Add contacts: Grow your network by searching your email contacts and finding people you may know
- Search jobs: Find jobs by keyword, title, company, postal code, function, industry, years of experience,
and date posted using advanced search
- Join groups: Search for groups relevant to your professional interests: alumni groups, industry groups,
geographic groups, and more
- Access our MUCSC Group on LinkedIn
- Access the Marquette University Alumni Association (MUAA) Group on LinkedIn
- Connect with Marquette Alumni for Career Networking on the CIRCLES eMentor Network
- Lindsey Pollak, best selling career advice author and LinkedIn spokesperson's website:
- Sign up for a free weekly tutorial on how to use LinkedIn for your job search!