Faculty and Staff Service & Civic Engagement
Faculty members in the College of Education aspire to be outstanding teachers who make significant scholarly contributions to their fields of study. Equally important, however, faculty and staff both volunteer their time to make important societal and professional contributions that demonstrate leadership expressed in service to others.
Our faculty and staff participate in a broad array of activities in partnership with our many shareholders in urban, suburban and rural schools and communities, human service and other types of agencies, and professional organizations. Service includes membership on boards, executive and advisory committees, task forces, and steering groups as well as numerous leadership and consulting roles.
We invite you to take note below of the many ways our faculty and staff demonstrate professional and civic engagement. This compendium of service illuminates our profound commitment to social justice and serves to honor Marquette’s tradition as a Catholic, Jesuit university.
- Assessment and Planning, Pilot Project for the Center for Community Transformation with the College of Professional Studies
- Board of Directors, Environmental Land Development Corporation
- Consultant, St Xavier University on interpretation of assessment data for NCATE report
- Consultant/Strategic Planner for K-12 Schools in Milwaukee area and in Illinois
- Development of Assessment System for ITL’s Accreditation Initiative
- Secretary, McBOAT - a political activism organization on the use of the harbor and waterways in Milwaukee
- Workshop Facilitator, Standardized Testing and interpretation of Assessment scores for K-12 schools
- Consultant, West Allis-West Milwaukee School Counseling Program Evaluation (2012-present)
- American School Counselor Association; Past-President
- American School Counselor Association; Positions Committee Co-Chair (2005-2009)
- Department of Public Instruction; Committee for Revision of the Wisconsin Developmental Guidance Model (2005-2008)
- Editorial Board for Professional School Counseling (2009-present)
- Milwaukee Public Schools- School Counseling Advisory Council (2009-2010)
- Milwaukee Public Schools-Elementary School Guidance Counseling Grant Advisory Council (2006-2009)
- Reviewer for Journal of Counseling Psychology (2007-present)
- Reviewer for Training and Education in Professional Psychology (2007-2011)
- Reviewer for Cultural and Ethnic Diversity Journal (2007-present)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Association; President-elect, President, Past President (2005-2009)
- Stroke and Turn Official, Wisconsin Swimming, (2009-2011)
- President, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2008-2010)
- Technology Committee, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2007-2008)
- Parent Volunteer, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2003-2011)
- Steering Committee for the Marquette University Center for Peacemaking
- Advisory Board for the Faber Center for Ignatian Spirituality
- Chair, Research Publication Awards Subcommittee, International Research Association, 2007-2009.
- Member, Research Publication Awards Subcommittee, International Reading Association, 2006-2007.
- Member, Research Program Development Subcommittee, International Reading Association, 2000 – 2002.
- Reviewer for Guilford Press.
- Co-editor, Michigan Reading Journal, 2002-2004.
- Secretary of the National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Early Career Professionals Committee of the Society for Counseling Psychology
- Mentor and yearly guest speaker for the Latino/a Non-Profit Leadership Program, Milwaukee, WI
- Program Co-Chair for the National Latino/a Psychological Association Conference (2006 & 2008)
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Counseling Psychology (2009)
- Consulting Psychologist, Milestone, Inc., Rockford IL, provide full range of psychological services for a residential program serving over three hundred children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Psychologist, Penfield's Behavior Clinic, providing psychological services to children under five with behavior and emotional problems from families living in poverty.
- Community Leadership Council and Operations Team member, Milwaukee Succeeds
- Member, Catholic School Commission
- Co-Chair, Education Deans of Greater Milwaukee
- Board Member, Greater Milwaukee Catholic Education Consortium
- Board Member, Milwaukee Academy of Science
- Editorial Board, Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, 2009-present
- Ad hoc Reviewer, International Research and Scholarship section, Journal of College Student Development, 2009-present
- Member, Parent Education Team, Highland Community School
- Trinity College Dublin (Ireland): External Examiner, Counseling Psychology Doctoral Program, 2011-present
- All Saints’ Cathedral: Junior Warden 2011-present
- Executive Officer, North American Society for Psychotherapy Research (NASPR): 2008-present
- Education and Training Domain Representative, Division 29 (Psychotherapy) of American Psychological Association: 2010-present
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Counseling Psychology (APA Division 17): Editorial Board, 2005-2007; 1998, 2001-2004, 2007-present
- Advisory Editor (Editorial Board), Psychotherapy Research: Journal of the Society for Psychotherapy Research: 2004-present; Ad Hoc Reviewer, 2000-2004
- Editorial Board, Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training (APA Division 29): 2005-present
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Training & Education in Professional Psychology (APA Journal): 2008-present; Invited Reviewer, 2008
- Chapter Member, Fellowship and Evangelism Committees, All Saint’s Cathedral
Rev. Jeffrey LaBelle, S.J.
- Board of Directors, Marquette University High School
- Manuscript Reviewer for Bilingual Research Journal
- Manuscript Reviewer for the Journal of Church and State
- Manuscript Reviewer for Rowan & Littlefield Publishers
- Manuscript Reviewer for Journal of Moral Education
- Manuscript Reviewer for Journal of Teacher Education
- Chair, Governance Council for Rufus King International Baccalaureate High School
- School Board Member, Fox Point-Bayside School District
- Member, International Scientific Committee, World Conference on Psychology, Counseling and Guidance, Antalya, Turkey.
- Member, Scientific Committee, ORASI Portugal Network of Psychologists.
Kevin A. Tate
- National Career Development Association- Leadership Academy Member (2011)
- Counselors for Social Justice, University of Florida Chapter, Gainesville- President-Elect, President, Past President (2006-2008)
- University of Florida Chi Sigma Iota - Beta Chapter, Gainesville- Community Service Chair (2006)
- The Hip Hop Collective, University of Florida, Gainesville- President, Event Coordinator, Consultant, Faculty Advisor (2000 – 2011)
- Editor, Urban Review
- Member, editorial board of the International Journal of Inclusive Education
- International Journal of Qualitative Studies in Education
- Sociology of Education
- Teachers College Record
- Member, Research Advisory Committee for Consortium for Policy Research in Education (CPRE), research center founded by OERI
- Member, Technical Advisory Network (TAN) for “Assessing the Impact of the National Science
Foundation’s Urban Systemic Initiative”. University of South Florida.
- Member, Teacher and Principal Quality Workgroup, Milwaukee Partnership Academy, 2008 – present
- Board Member, St. Joan Antida High School, Milwaukee, WI. 2008 – present
- Board Member, SOAR (Scholarships, Opportunities & Access in Racine), Racine, WI, 2009 - present
- Member, Archdiocese of Milwaukee Special Education Reform Committee, 2009 – present
- Reviewer for
- Allyn & Bacon Publishing
- American Educational Research Association Division A Dissertation of the Year Award
- American Educational Research Journal
- Journal of School Leadership
Fr. Andy Thon
- President, Jesuit Association of Student Personnel Administrators (JASPA): 2007-present.
- Member, Executive Board of the Jesuit Association of Student Personnel Administrators (JASPA): 1991-present.
- Member, University of Detroit Mercy Board of Trustees: 2004-present
- Member, leadership team for the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities Principles of Good Practice for Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities assessment project: 2009-present
- Manuscript reviewer, Catholic Education Journal: 2010
Leigh van den Kieboom
- Primary for Mathematics Science Partnership Grant, Partnership with West Allis/West Milwaukee School District
- Co-Chair, Response to Intervention Task Force, International Reading Association (2011—2013)
- Board of Directors, United States Board on Books for Young People (USBBY) (2010-2012)l;
- USBBY Membership Committee (2010-2011)
- Edward Fry Book Committee, Literacy Research Association
- Proposal Reviewer
- Association for Literacy Educators & Researchers
- The International Reading Association
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Literacy Research & Instruction
- Urban Education
- The Reading Teacher
- Book Reviewer
- International Reading Association
- Corwin Press
- Area 8 Co-Chair, Literacy Learning & Practice in Multilingual and Multicultural Settings Literacy Research Association Annual Conference Committee (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair, Response to Intervention Task Force, International Reading Association(2013-2015)
- International reading Association Conference Committee (2012 and 2013)
- Governing Board, Catholic Education Journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of Educational Technology Research & Development
- Consultant, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (2008)
- Consultant, Frontier School of Midwifery & Family Nursing, Hyden, KY (2008)
- Consultant and MU Liaison, Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (2004-2009)
- Textbook reviewer, Taylor & Francis Publishers
- Proposal reviewer, American Educational Research Association
- Manuscript reviewer:
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Urban Education
- Journal of Learning Inquiry