Faculty and Staff Service & Civic Engagement
Faculty members in the College of Education aspire to be outstanding teachers who make significant scholarly contributions to their fields of study. Equally important, however, faculty and staff both volunteer their time to make important societal and professional contributions that demonstrate leadership expressed in service to others.
Our faculty and staff participate in a broad array of activities in partnership with our many shareholders in urban, suburban and rural schools and communities, human service and other types of agencies, and professional organizations. Service includes membership on boards, executive and advisory committees, task forces, and steering groups as well as numerous leadership and consulting roles.
We invite you to take note below of the many ways our faculty and staff demonstrate professional and civic engagement. This compendium of service illuminates our profound commitment to social justice and serves to honor Marquette’s tradition as a Catholic, Jesuit university.
- Consultant, West Allis-West Milwaukee School Counseling Program Evaluation (2012-present)
- American School Counselor Association; Past-President
- American School Counselor Association; Positions Committee Co-Chair (2005-2009)
- Department of Public Instruction; Committee for Revision of the Wisconsin Developmental Guidance Model (2005-2008)
- Editorial Board for Professional School Counseling (2009-present)
- Milwaukee Public Schools- School Counseling Advisory Council (2009-2010)
- Milwaukee Public Schools-Elementary School Guidance Counseling Grant Advisory Council (2006-2009)
- Reviewer for Journal of Counseling Psychology (2007-present)
- Reviewer for Training and Education in Professional Psychology (2007-2011)
- Reviewer for Cultural and Ethnic Diversity Journal (2007-present)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Association; President-elect, President, Past President (2005-2009)
- Stroke and Turn Official, Wisconsin Swimming, (2009-2011)
- President, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2008-2010)
- Technology Committee, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2007-2008)
- Parent Volunteer, Ozaukee Aquatics Swim Club, (2003-2011)
- Steering Committee for the Marquette University Center for Peacemaking
- Advisory Board for the Faber Center for Ignatian Spirituality
- Chair, Research Publication Awards Subcommittee, International Research Association, 2007-2009.
- Member, Research Publication Awards Subcommittee, International Reading Association, 2006-2007.
- Member, Research Program Development Subcommittee, International Reading Association, 2000 – 2002.
- Reviewer for Guilford Press.
- Co-editor, Michigan Reading Journal, 2002-2004.
- Secretary of the National Latina/o Psychological Association
- Early Career Professionals Committee of the Society for Counseling Psychology
- Mentor and yearly guest speaker for the Latino/a Non-Profit Leadership Program, Milwaukee, WI
- Teen Pregnancy Prevention Latino/a Taskforce Member, United Way of Greater Milwaukee
- Journal of Latina/o Psychology, Ad-hoc Reviewer
- Trustee for the Village of Shorewood (2001-2012)
- Co-Principal Investigator, Noyce Scholars Grant
- Consulting Psychologist, Milestone, Inc., Rockford IL, provide full range of psychological services for a residential program serving over three hundred children and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Psychologist, Penfield's Behavior Clinic, providing psychological services to children under five with behavior and emotional problems from families living in poverty.
- Community Leadership Council and Operations Team member, Milwaukee Succeeds
- Member, Catholic School Commission
- Co-Chair, Education Deans of Greater Milwaukee
- Board Member, Greater Milwaukee Catholic Education Consortium
- Board Member, Milwaukee Academy of Science
- Editorial Board, Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, 2009-present
- Ad hoc Reviewer, International Research and Scholarship section, Journal of College Student Development, 2009-present
- Co-chair, Presidential Taskforce on Sexual Violence in Higher Education, ACPA – College Student Educators International
- Member, Commission on Professional Preparation in Student Affairs, ACPA – College Student Educators International
- Marquette University Taskforce on Interprofessional Health Education, 2014-present
- Marquette University Committee on Research, 2014-present
- Co-Editor, Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 2013-present
- All Saints’ Cathedral: Senior Warden, 2013-present
- Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session:Editorial Board, 2012-present
- Training & Education in Professional Psychology (APA Journal): Ad Hoc Reviewer, 2008-present
- Trinity College Dublin (Ireland):External Examiner, Counselling Psychology Doctoral Program, 2011-2013
- Division 29 (Psychotherapy) of APA: Education and Training Domain Representative, 2010-2013
- North American Society for Psychotherapy Research (NASPR): Executive Officer, 2008-2013
- Committee on Accreditation Site Visitor: University of Kentucky, May 2007; University of North Dakota, April 2012; Pennsylvania State University, October 2013
- Division 29 (Psychotherapy) of APA Journal Psychotherapy, Editorial Board, 2005-2012
- Psychotherapy Research: Journal of the Society for Psychotherapy Research: Advisory Editor (Editorial Board), 2004-2012
Rev. Jeffrey LaBelle, S.J.
- Board of Members, Marquette University High School
- Manuscript Reviewer for Bilingual Research Journal
- Manuscript Reviewer for the Journal of Church and State
- Manuscript Reviewer for Rowan & Littlefield Publishers
- Manuscript Reviewer for Journal of Moral Education
- Manuscript Reviewer for Journal of Teacher Education
- Chair, Governance Council for Rufus King International Baccalaureate High School
- School Board Member, Fox Point-Bayside School District
- Member, International Scientific Committee, World Conference on Psychology, Counseling and Guidance, Antalya, Turkey.
- Member, Scientific Committee, ORASI Portugal Network of Psychologists.
Fr. Andy Thon
- Board of Trustees, University of Detroit Mercy, 2004-Present
- Board of Trustees, Spring Hill College, term beginning September 2014
- Consulting Audit of Loyola University Division of Student Development, summer 2014
- President, Jesuit association of Student Personnel Administrators (JASPA), 2008-2010
- JASPA Executive Board, 1991-2011
Leigh van den Kieboom
- Primary for Mathematics Science Partnership Grant, Partnership with West Allis/West Milwaukee School District
- Member, Literacy and Education Reform Task Force, International Reading Association (2014- 2015)
- Association for Literacy Educators and Researchers Conference Committee (2014)
- Edward Fry Book Committee, Literacy Research Association
- Proposal Reviewer
- Association for Literacy Educators & Researchers
- The International Reading Association
- Manuscript Reviewer
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Literacy Research & Instruction
- Urban Education
- The Reading Teacher
- Book Reviewer
- International Reading Association
- Corwin Press
- Area 8 Co-Chair, Literacy Learning & Practice in Multilingual and Multicultural Settings Literacy Research Association Annual Conference Committee (2013-2015)
- Co-Chair, Response to Intervention Task Force, International Reading Association(2013-2015)
- International Reading Association Conference Committee (2012 and 2013)
- Member of the Commission on Social Justice and Access to Equitable Education, sponsored by the American Association of Teacher Educators
- Governing Board, Catholic Education Journal
- Editorial Board, Journal of Educational Technology Research & Development
- Consultant, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (2008)
- Consultant, Frontier School of Midwifery & Family Nursing, Hyden, KY (2008)
- Consultant and MU Liaison, Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (2004-2009)
- Textbook reviewer, Taylor & Francis Publishers
- Proposal reviewer, American Educational Research Association
- Manuscript reviewer:
- Journal of Teacher Education
- Urban Education
- Journal of Learning Inquiry