I. Application for Graduate travel funds:
There are three possible venues for receiving graduate student travel funds:
- English Department Funds (via Jodi Melamed, DGS)
- AEGS Funds (via AEGS)
- Matching Graduate School Funds (via Tom Marek, Graduate School)
- Because travel money in the ENGL department budget (#1) varies from year to year, there is no guarantee of any set sum for graduate travel; that said, in any given year, if the chair has determined that ENGL department money may be set aside for graduate travel, the chair will inform the DGS. The DGS, in turn, will solicit travel requests from graduate students and use the established criteria to award the money. Travel requests should include: (a) reason for request and (b) budget.
- Any travel money awarded by AEGS (#2) will be handled via AEGS Application form
- If a graduate student is awarded any money from #1 or #2, then that student may apply to the Graduate School for matching funds (please note, though, that the sooner one applies for these matching funds, the better because there is a limited amount of funds).
II. Notification of graduate travel fund awards
Graduate students will be notified of different travel awards by different university offices:
- For Departmental funds, the DGS will notify graduate students of their travel awards. The DGS will:
- Send emails to individual graduate students, copying the chair and Deb Jelacic
- Indicate in these emails (a) the amount, and (b) the venue.
- For AEGS Funds, AEGS will notify graduate students of their travel awards.
- For Graduate School Matching Funds, Tom Marek will notify graduate students of their travel awards.
[NOTE: from these emails, the chair and Deb will keep a running list of awards]
III. Reimbursement of awarded graduate travel funds
Graduate students must submit reimbursement claims for their travel fund awards to the following places:
- To claim Departmental Funds, graduate students must submit to Deb Jelacic in the ENGL Department within two weeks of travel:
- Copy of e-mail notification of travel award (from DGS for departmental awards)
- Travel Expense Form*
- To claim AEGS Funds, consult AEGS.
- To claim Graduate School Matching Funds, graduate students must submit to Tom Marek in the Graduate School within two weeks of travel:
- Copy of email notification of travel award (from Grad. School for Matching Funds)
- Travel Expense Form*
* Only one Travel Expense Form needs to be completed per trip; however, because a graduate student may be requesting reimbursements from more than one fund for any given trip, each reimbursement request should include: (1) a copy of the Travel Expense Form and (2) a brief memo detailing how much money is being requested from each fund. Please note: graduate students are responsible for keeping track of their awards from different funds.