- His novel, American Boy, has been named the Campus Reads selection for the 2013-14 academic year at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.
- Became the 2013 recipient of the Mountain Plains Library Association Literary Contribution award, “given to an author whose work has successfully furthered an understanding and appreciation of the Mountain Plains region.”
- Read his essay “Wisconsin Beauty, Common and Rare” on January 11, 2013, on Wisconsin Life on Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Featured author at the Tucson Festival of Books held at the University of Arizona, March 9-10, 2013. Watson will also conduct a Masters Workshop at the university.
- Featured author at Books in the Woods held at Gunflint Lodge, Minnesota, April 4-7, 2013. Watson will lead literary discussion groups and make a formal presentation.
Met with ESL classes on April 17, 2013 at the University of Wisconsin/Milwaukee where his novel, Montana 1948, is being studied.
- Featured participant at the Lakefly Literary Conference held in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, on May 11, 2013.
Met with booksellers and distributors and signed galleys of his novel, Let Him Go, at Book Expo America in New York, NY on May 31, 2013. An interview with Watson was featured in the convention daily newspaper.
Met with librarians and signed galleys of Let Him Go at the annual American Library Association convention held in Chicago, Illinois on June 29, 2013.
Spoke on “Fact and Fiction in Sundown, Yellow Moon,” at the Hatch Public Library in Mauston, Wisconsin, on July 9, 2013.
Let Him Go novel published by Milkweed Editions on September 3, 2013.
- Spoke on “The Legacy of Loss” and read from his new novel at the Warren Newport Public Library in Gurnee, Illinois on September 7, 2013.
Read from Let Him Go at Boswell Books in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on September 10, 2013.
Featured participant in “Talk of the Stacks” at Hennepin County Library in Minneapolis, Minnesota on September 12, 2013.
- Read from his new novel at the Chicago Public Library in Chicago, Illinois on September 18, 2013.
- On September 30, 2013, Larry Watson gave a presentation on fiction and its sources at the Kiel Public Library in Kiel, Wisconsin.
- On October 5, 2013, in Chicago, Larry Watson met with booksellers and signed copies of his new novel at the Heartland Fall Forum, the annual convention of the Midwest Independent Booksellers Association.
- On October 9, 2013, Watson appeared on an authors’ panel at the Novi Public Library in Detroit, Michigan. The event was sponsored by the Detroit chapter of the Women’s National Book Association.
- On October 12, 2013, he read from his novel and appeared on a panel at the Iowa City Book Festival in Iowa City, Iowa.
- Spoke on writing and publishing at the Adams Community Theater in Adams, Wisconsin, on October 23, 2013.
- Read from his new novel at the Madison Public Library in Madison, Wisconsin, on October 30, 2013.
- Was interviewed, via Skype, about his new novel for the British podcast, Tim Haigh Reads, on November 2, 2013.
- On November 5, 2013, Larry Watson spoke, via Skype, to students at Yarra Valley High School in Melbourne, Australia. The students are reading Watson’s novel, Montana 1948, in their classes.
- Larry Watson appeared on a panel at the Miami International Book Fair, in Miami, Florida, on November 24, 2013.
- Along with other Milwaukee authors (including C. J. Hribal), he read from his fiction at the Associated Writing Programs annual convention in Chicago, Illinois in February 2012.
- Was the subject of a feature article in the February 26, 2012 issue of Printers Row, a new Chicago Tribune magazine on books and writers.
- Read from his fiction on March 3, 2012 at the Associated Writing Programs annual conference in Chicago. He was part of a panel of Milwaukee writers, including C. J. Hribal, who chaired the panel.
- On August 4, 2012, an interview with Larry Watson was the subject of a feature in the Wisconsin State Journal.
- On August 12, 2012, Larry Watson read from his fiction at Arcadia Books in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
- On August 22, 2012, Larry Watson gave a presentation at Muskego Public Library on “Fiction and its Sources in the Writer’s Life.” Watson’s fiction was featured at the library’s summer reading program.
- Larry Watson’s novel American Boy was published in a paperback edition on August 27, 2012 by Milkweed Editions.
- On August 27, 2012, Watson spoke to classes at Marquette High School where his novel American Boy is being studied.
- An interview and profile appeared in Wisconsin People and Ideas on October 2, 2012.
- On October 4, 2012, Larry Watson spoke on “Fiction and Autobiography: A Writer’s Sources” at the Stillwater Library in Stillwater, Minnesota. Watson’s novel American Boy was selected for the library’s book club.
- On October 5, 2012, Larry Watson spoke to booksellers at the annual Midwest Independent Booksellers Association convention in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- On October 6, 2012, Larry Watson spoke on “The Writing Process” at Ridgedale Library in Minnetonka, Minnesota.
- On October 20, 2012, he read from his fiction and spoke on “A Writer’s Sense of Place” at the L. E. Phillips Memorial Public Library in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.