Exercise Physiology Major
THE MARQUETTE exercise Physiology major
YOU HAVE OPTIONS. Choose one of the following paths:
Marquette's Exercise physiology majors have interned with:
- Milwaukee Brewers
- Milwaukee Bucks
- Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Herma Heart Care Center
- Seattle Storm (WBNA)
- Duke Center for Healthy Living
- Provincial Specialized Hospital in Poland
- The exercise physiology track prepares you for a career as an exercise instructor, personal trainer, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation professional, strength and conditioning specialist or for management in the health and fitness industry.
- The pre-professional track prepares you for graduate and professional education in such fields as physical therapy, medicine, physician assistant studies, occupational therapy, anatomy, kinesiology, exercise physiology, clinical and translational rehabilitation health science, pharmacy and nursing.
- The direct-admit PT track is for students who have been admitted to Marquette's doctoral degree program in physical therapy.
PROFESSIONALLY FIT AS A FIDDLE. Since you'll be working in a career helping healthy people — who are not relying on health insurance to pay for your services — your job prospects won't be affected negatively by changes in the health insurance industry. The boom in corporate wellness programs could help sustain the growth in the profession of exercise physiology. The exercise physiology major is also a great launch pad into fields such as sports medicine, physical therapy, athletic training, occupational therapy or exercise physiology.
THE SCIENCE OF EXERCISE. Marquette's exercise physiology major encompasses anatomy, kinesiology, nutrition and physiology, so you'll understand how the body works and be well equipped to develop programs that enhance the body.
You might like the exercise physiology major if you:
- Are skilled in science
- Enjoy working with people
- Want to help people be healthy through exercise and wellness programs
What can you do with a major in exercise physiology?
Go directly to work in the fitness industry, cardiopulmonary rehabilitation or go on to graduate or professional school, corporate fitness programs, health clubs and community fitness programs. Learn more about what you can do with a major in exercise physiology.
Visit the department that offers the exercise physiology major.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for an exercise physiology major
Your major courses blue.
- Emergency Care, CPR and AED
- Introduction to Exercise Physiology
- Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology
- Surface Anatomy and Palpation
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- General Chemistry I & II
- Histories of Cultures and Societies Elective
- General Biology I
- Exercise Testing, Prescription and EKG
- Exercise Biochemistry and Physiology
- General Psychology
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Theory of Ethics
- Introduction to Theology
- General Biology II
- Exercise Leadership
- Exercise Science Practicum I
- Exercise Physiology Elective
- Cognitive and Motor Learning
- Nutrition and Exercise Performance
- Nutritional Aspects of Health
- Principles of Strength Training and Conditioning
- Two Electives
- Literature/Performing Arts Elective
- Theology Elective
- Advanced Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Program Management
- Exercise for Special Populations
- Exercise Science Practicum II
- Medical Ethics
* Exercise science curriculum will differ for pre-professional and direct-admit PT tracks.