Foreign Languages and Literature Major
SIX MAJORS: Classical Languages, Classical Studies, French, German, Spanish for the Professions, Spanish Language and Literature
NINE LANGUAGES: Arabic, Classical Greek, Latin, French, German, Spanish, Italian & Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.
THE MARQUETTE ADVANTAGE
FRANÇAIS: Explore the incredible diversity of the Francophone world, from Paris to Quebec to Haiti, through literature, film, and culture. Study French for the Professions and use it in business related fields. Live the language through service learning.
As a Foreign languages major at marquette, you can:
- Study abroad in one of 25 countries on six continents
- Live in Global Village, a living-learning community
- Participate in national honor societies for French, German, Spanish and the classics
ESPAÑOL: Connect to the global community and perfect your Spanish skills in a dual immersion language exchange: face to face online with native speakers in Mexico, South America, and Europe. Get involved in Milwaukee's Hispanic community through service learning. Prepare to use Spanish in health and business related careers through the Spanish for the Professions program. Choose from study abroad programs, including our one-semester or yearlong Madrid program and our summer programs in Madrid or Mexico.
LINGUAE CLASSICAE. Choose one of two stimulating courses of study. The Classical Languages major immerses you in the study of ancient Greek and Latin, with a focus on the reading and translation of original texts. Our Classical Studies major integrates courses in ancient languages, civilization and tradition with core courses in history, philosophy and theology.
DEUTSCH. In addition to challenging you to use German as precisely as your native language, studying German at Marquette lets you immerse yourself in the life, civilization, literature and dramatic history of today’s Germany. It’s a nation at the heart of Western thought, institutions, culture and politics.
SMALL CLASSES. For a better understanding and proficiency in your language, we limit class sizes to encourage greater student participation.
You might like the foreign languages major if you:
- like language and culture
- have strong written and spoken communication skills
- are interested in studying abroad
What can you do with a major in foreign languages?
Many graduates succeed in a variety of careers, including education, international affairs and business, international news agencies and airlines. Learn more about what you can do with a major in foreign languages and literatures.
Visit the department that offers the foreign language and literature major
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for a foreign language major
Your major courses blue. Your starting point for language courses
depends upon placement and proficiency.
- Foreign Language I & II
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- Growth of Western Civilization I or II
- Individual and Social Behavior Elective
- Introduction to Theology
- Science and Nature Elective
- History Elective
- Natural Science Elective
- Foreign Language III & IV
- Mathematical Reasoning Elective
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Math, Logic or Computer Science Elective
- Two Social-behavioral Science Electives
- Five Foreign Language Courses
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Theory of Ethics
- Theology Electives
- Philosophy Elective
- Five Foreign Language Courses
- Senior Experience