THE MARQUETTE Psychology Major
LEARN FROM THE EXPERTS. Your professors are among the nation's leading psychologists, researchers and authors. They'll share this wide range of experience with you in their classrooms.
Research assistant opportunities
for psychology majors
- 1Personality development
- 2Ethnic minority psychopathology/Latino depression
- 4Social psychology: stereotyping, discrimination and prejudice
- 5Clinical-child psychology
- 6Pediatric and clinical child psychology
- 7Infant and child social development, autism, brain activity and heart rate measures
- 8Help-seeking for emotional disorders
- 9Chaos and complexity theory
- 10Shyness, gender differences, and the psychology of religion
APPRECIATE THE MIND'S COMPLEXITY. The best way to understand something is to analyze it from multiple perspectives. You will gain an understanding of how your mind's complexity is shaped by the combined influence of your genetic heritage, previous experiences in life, current brain activity and social surroundings. Our psychology major's core content courses cover psychology's subdisciplines of biological, clinical, cognitive, developmental, industrial, personality and social psychology.
WHY DID YOU DO THAT? Beyond our content area courses in the psychology major, you can more fully explore the answer to this question through elective courses such as Chaos and Complexity, Human Sexuality, Marriage and Family, Prejudice, Fantasy and Imagination, and Gender Roles.
CONDUCT RESEARCH AS AN UNDERGRADUATE. Work with a faculty mentor whose research area intrigues you. Through independent study or simply volunteering, our psychology majors work on projects such as factors that influence the mental health of ethnic minority groups; the impact of parental conflict, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder and autism on child development; how stereotypes and norms shape social judgments; leadership in work groups; and the effects of aging on memory. You can also sharpen your research skills in our computer, behavioral observation and testing labs.
SPECIAL COURSES FOR SENIORS. You can try on your professional hat in the Field Experience course by working in the Milwaukee community while being supervised and directed by a psychology faculty member. Also, courses such as Introduction to Clinical Psychology, Psychology of Marriage and Family, and other specialized seminars give you the opportunity to extend and apply your learning in career-oriented directions.
you might like the PSYCHOLOGY major if you:
- Are fascinated by the complexities of human behavior
- Like math, sciences and social sciences
- Are open-minded
What can you do with a major in psychology?
A survey of our psychology graduates showed that 62 percent attended graduate or professional school. About 45 percent pursued a graduate degree in psychology, 5 percent attended medical school or law school, and about 11 percent attended graduate school in various other fields, such as business and social work. Learn more about what you can do with a major in psychology.
Visit the department that offers the major in psychology.
Please expand to view suggested curriculum
Suggested curriculum for a psychology major
Your major courses are in blue.
- General Psychology
- Psychological Measurements and Statistics
- Rhetoric and Composition I & II
- Growth of Western Civilization I or II
- Introduction to Theology
- Foreign Language I & II
- History I & II
- Natural Science Elective
- Research Methods and Designs in Psychology
- Two Psychology Courses
- Two Literature Electives
- Philosophy of Human Nature
- Foreign Language III & IV
- Mathematical Reasoning Elective
- Four Psychology Courses
- Diverse Cultures Elective
- Theory of Ethics
- Theology Elective
- Two Philosophy Courses
- Four Psychology Electives
- Theology Elective