What can you do with a major in clinical laboratory science?
Clinical Laboratory Science major careers and jobs
What can you do with a major in clinical laboratory science? You can easily land a job, for one. Most of our students have secured jobs even before they graduate, and 100 percent are employed in the field immediately after graduation. Many take positions in clinical, hospital and research laboratories, but the major in clinical laboratory science is also excellent preparation for medical and graduate schools. Admission rates for our graduates are traditionally quite healthy: 70 percent for medical school, 88 percent for graduate school and 100 percent for law and dental school.
Some of the other fields you'll find our graduates in include:
- research and product development
- insurance underwriting
- forensic medicine
- forensic science
- Peace Corps
- food, cosmetic and consumer-product testing labs
- medical product sales and marketing
Jobs for Clinical Laboratory Science majors
Clinical laboratory science majors are in hot demand. Marquette's graduates already have a 100-percent placement rate, and job prospects for clinical laboratory technologists and technicians are expected to grow by 14 percent through 2018, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
In addition to all of the major hospital systems in the Milwaukee area and the Blood Center of Wisconsin, our clinical laboratory science majors have worked at:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Mayo Clinic Laboratories
- Abbott Laboratories
- Association of Public Health Laboratories
- Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
- Wisconsin State Crime Lab
- Johns Hopkins Laboratories
- Duke University Medical Center
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital
- Boston Children’s Hospital
- Mid-American Laboratories
- Sysmex (diagnostics system manufacturer)
- Microbiologics (producer of quality control microorganisms — the CEO is a Marquette grad)
A number of our clinical laboratory science majors have gone to medical school or graduate school in areas such as microbiology at top schools across the country, including:
- Medical College of Wisconsin
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Brown University
- University of North Carolina
- Purdue University
- Medical University of South Carolina
- State University of New York
- University of Minnesota
- Creighton University
Additional resources on careers in clinical laboratory science.
Visit the department that offers the major in clinical laboratory science.