Marquette's vast research environment is primarily housed in the Raynor Memorial Libraries. The libraries offer more than 1.5 million volumes, hundreds of research databases, computer access, laptops on loan, a CD and video collection, and library staffs who help researchers from around the world.
Opened August 4, 2003, offers research services, sources, and technology in a state-of-the-art facility. Designed around the Information Commons concept, Raynor Library incorporates in an open setting a variety of print and electronic resources, technology to support new forms of digital scholarship, areas for group and individual work, and a variety of staff to provide assistance. The building also houses Special Collections and University Archives, a conference center, the Center for Teaching and Learning, the Norman H. Ott Memorial Writing Center, and library administrative offices.
Accessed via the second level bridge, houses the bulk of the more than 1.6 million volume collection, including all books and most bound journals. The newly-renovated building provides quiet study seating for over 1,000 on six levels and computer workstations on level 2. Circulation services and Interlibrary Loan staff are available adjacent to the bridge to assist with questions.
The Interlibrary Loan (ILL) office obtains material through local, state, and national networks. Loan of books and periodicals article copies can be obtained at not cost for Marquette students, faculty and staff. Forms for using ILL are available at either library’s Reference/Information Desk, in the ILL office, or within the “Online Request Forms” option on the Libraries’ Web site. The Reference staff can help users with other library catalogs or explore other direct access programs.
Housed in the Memorial Library are manuscripts, rare books, and Marquette University records including administrative files, publications, photographs, films, audio/video tapes, and papers of faculty, students, staff, and alumni. Major holdings related to Catholic social action in the 20th Century include the records of Dorothy Day and the Catholic Worker, the National Catholic Conference for Interracial Justice, the National Coalition of American Nuns, and the National Catholic Rural Life Conference, and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records and related Native American collections Also held here are the original manuscripts and multiple working drafts for three of J.R.R. Tolkien's most celebrated books, "The Hobbit" (1937), "Farmer Giles of Ham" (1949), and "The Lord of the Rings" (1954-1955), and a small collection of incunabula (from the "cradle period" of Western printing), including a 1473 edition of St. Augustine's "De Civitate Dei" (The City of God). Also from the 15th century is a two-volume edition of the Old Testament.
Lalumière Language Hall, 254
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee, WI 53201-1881
Phone: (414) 288-7063 * Fax: (414) 288-7665