External Promotional Link Policy
Requests from commercial and non-commercial enterprises to have links on university-wide Web pages shall be evaluated by the Office of Marketing and Communication and IT Services Web Development according to the criteria set out in this policy. This policy only applies to links on university-wide, publicly accessible pages maintained by the Office of Marketing and Communication and IT Services Web Development.
- The enterprise must have a site to link. Marquette University generally will not host a commercial or non-profit web site.
- The enterprise must maintain and update the site.
- The enterprise should appeal to Marquette in several (but not necessarily all) of the following ways:
- Has an on-campus presence in a university-owned building
- Will maintain a special page targeted to a Marquette audience
- Offers services attractive to a significant number of students,
faculty/staff, parents or alumni
- Appeals to the Jesuit, Catholic nature of Marquette
- Recognized by the Department of Purchasing as a preferred vendor
- Offers a discount on services to Marquette-affiliated persons
- Accepts MarquetteCASH from the MarquetteCard
- Hosting an event or program co-sponsored by Marquette University
- Does not run contrary to the Marquette values, mission or Ethos Statement
- Recognized as a major civic attraction
- Marquette University reserves the right to remove links and will attempt to notify a representative of the web site.
Web Hosting of Non-Marquette Organizations
Faculty, administrators and staff who play an active role in a non-profit academic or university-professional organization may qualify to have a Web site hosted on the Marquette University Web server without a charge. Some qualifications:
- The organization does not run contrary to the Marquette values, mission or Ethos Statement.
- Hosting the site must not violate Marquette University's Acceptable Use Policy. Please note the section on "Non-organizational Use."
- The faculty member, administrator or staff must have an active role in the organization beyond membership. Examples include the roles of president, vice president, secretary, board of directors, treasurer or webmaster. The Marquette member must remain active in the organization as well as remain at Marquette. If the faculty member, administrator or staff leaves the organization and/or Marquette, IT Services will terminate site hosting.
- The organization must be a non-profit organization with an academic mission or university-professional mission. For faculty, the organization's academic mission should reflect the faculty member's professional research. For administrators/staff, the organization's mission should deal with university professionals in the administrators/staff member's line of work at Marquette.
- The organization's Web site should not tax Marquette's electronic resources. If the Web site grows to tax resources, IT Services will require the site to be hosted elsewhere.
- The Marquette member must be the sole user maintaining the web site. Usernames/passwords should never be shared.
- Unless a domain name is obtained, such organizations will use academic.mu.edu or www.marquette.edu as hostname for web addresses, followed by a directory name that reflects the organization.
In accord with Marquette's acceptable use policy, the Marquette member should seek endorsement from his or her dean, director or vice president, citing the criteria in this policy. The dean/director/VP may e-mail approval to email@example.com. IT Services will contact the member to arrange for a user account, password and web address.