When you know you will be out of the office for a period of time, you may want to send automatic e-mail replies to incoming e-mail messages, record an out of office greeting for telephone calls, and forward incoming e-mails and voice mails to a colleague. You can limit the amount of information you reveal in Out of Office e-mails, especially to people outside the Marquette community and you can choose to respond to only your contacts as it is advisable not to respond to spam.
IT Services recommends that you shut down your computer if you will be out of office for an extended period of time.
Set up E-mail to send an Out of Office reply to incoming messages
Leave an Out of Office greeting on the Telephone
Send Out of Office messages with Outlook
- Using Outlook 2010
Click the File tab on the ribbon > Info > Automatic replies.
The Out of Office Assistant window will open.
- Check Send Out of Office auto-replies.
- Check Only send during this time range if you want it to automatically stop sending these messages on a date you enter as the End time.
- The message you type in the window will be sent in response to e-mails from inside Marquette University.
- Click OK and Out of Office auto-replies will be sent on the dates specified.
- Click the Outside My Organization tab, and make your selections for responses to e-mails from non Marquette senders. If you do not click on this tab, the default setting for out of office replies outside Marquette will be off.
- If you choose to send replies to e-mails from non Marquette e-mail addresses, you can select to reply to My Contacts Only and this will help avoid responding to spam.
To forward e-mail messages with Outlook, click Rules (bottom left).
Click Add Rule.
Specify who the message should be From… who it should be Sent to… (for example yourself so that this will exclude messages that are forwarded to you).
Enter the name of the person you want the voice mail forwarded to or search for it in the global address list in the To… field.
Send Out of Office messages with Outlook for Mac 2011
- Click Tools > Out of Office.
- Click Send Out of Office messages.
- In the Reply to message with box, type the text that you want to include in your automatic reply.
- Click OK.
- Click More options. Enter a start and end date for Out of Office messages to be sent.
- To Turn Out of Office messages off with Entourage:
Click Tools > Out of Office.
Click Do not Send Out of Office messages.
Send Out of Office messages with Outlook Web App
- Open your browser and log on to Outlook Web App at https://emarq.marquette.edu/owa/
- Click Options (top right).
The Options window will open. Click Set Automatic Replies.
- Check Send automatic replies and Send replies only during this time period, and enter the appropriate dates.
Enter the message you want in the replies.
- Scroll down and make your selection for Out of Office replies for senders outside Marquette
if you want to include a response to people on your Contacts list. Check Send automatic reply messages to External Senders and Send replies only to senders in my Contacts list. Enter a message for people outside Marquette.
- Click Save and the message you have entered will be sent in response to e-mails received on the dates you have chosen.
- To forward e-mails to a different e-mail address, click Inbox Rules > New > Create a new rule for arriving messages
When the New Inbox Rule window opens, make your selection and save the change.
Leave an Out of Office greeting on the Telephone
- Use the telephone to choose the Out of Office greeting
Access your voice mail on the phone, then choose Personal Options (press 6) and Turn On/Off Telephone Out of Office Status (press 1).
- Access your voice mail
Press the Voice mail button on your Marquette phone.
from an outside phone click the picture of your phone on the Campus Phones and Voice Mail web page for information on calling in to check voice mail.
- You will be prompted to enter your voice mail PIN.
- Choose Personal Options (press 6) and Turn On/Off Telephone Out of Office Status (press 1).
A menu will ask you to make a selection by repeating out loud the item of your choice. You can interrupt and say one of the items below to make that choice immediately. If you prefer to use the keypad, press 0 and you will hear a message that tells you to press 0 again to start using the touch tone system. The keypad menu options will be provided at that time.
- Use the telephone to record a personal Out of Office greeting
Choose Personal Options (press 6) and press 2, Record a greeting, and then press 2 to record your Out of office greeting.
- Use Lync to play and record a personal greeting or a personal greeting for when you are away or Out of Office
Open Lync. Click the Display voice mail options down arrow > Change Greetings.
Your phone will ring and you will be prompted to record a personal greeting or a personal out of office greeting - if you prefer, you can use the prerecorded messages.
Reset Your Voicemail Greeting When You Return to the Office
IMPORTANT: The Out of Office telephone greeting will not automatically revert to your regular greeting. You must reset it when you return to the office. You will need to access this window and select Voice Mail greeting.
Use Lync to forward Voice Mail messages
Click the call forwarding down arrow (bottom left) > Forward Calls to and make a choice.
To change the mobile number and for more options click Call Forwarding Settings.
Use Outlook Web Access to activate an Out of Office greeting (rather than your regular greeting) for the telephone or to switch back to your regular telephone greeting.
- Open a Browser, navigate to https://emarq.marquette.edu and log in with your Marqnet username and password.
Click Options (top right) > See All Options > Phone.
- Scroll down to Greetings and make a selection.
Please contact the IT Services Help Desk at (414) 288-7799 with questions.