New features in Office 2010
Office 2010 Applications
The Ribbon replaces traditional menus which had become increasingly cluttered as more features and commands were added. The Ribbon commands are organized into tabs that group related commands together.
- You can access your favorite commands even more quickly by customizing tabs or creating your own.
Right click the ribbon > Customize the Ribbon
- You may also create a new ribbon tab that includes your favorite commands and groups. Right click the ribbon > Customize the Ribbon > New tab
Quick Access Toolbar
The Quick Access Toolbar shows commands independent of the tab that is showing on the ribbon.
You may customize the quick access bar and add or remove commands.
- Move the Quick Access Toolbar above or below the ribbon by clicking Customize.
Backstage™ view replaces the traditional File menu
- Click the File tab to access commands like Save, Open and
Print. Print shows a preview of the document and Print
- In Outlook, click File > Automatic Replies > Send Automatic Replies and make your selections to send Out of office messages.
- In Word, click
File > Info > Permissions > Inspect document to check for personal information or revisions before sharing.
- In Word, click
File > Save and Send > SharePoint and it shows recently accessed or open locations in SharePoint. You can save a document to a SharePoint site.
Paste Preview is on the Home ribbon and when you right-click to Paste – move your mouse over the options to see what the result will look like when pasted.
Options may include:
- Keep source formatting
- Merge Formatting
- Paste text only
- Paste as picture
Information on compatibility with older versions
People using previous versions of Microsoft Office can open Office 2010 documents, but some new features and formatting capabilities found in the new version might be lost when saving to or opening from previous versions of the software.
You can run the Word Compatibility Checker manually if you wonder whether any features in a document will be incompatible with previous versions.
- Click File > Info > Check for Issues > Check Compatibility.
* This document can only be accessed on the Marquette campus.