GUIDE TO CATHOLIC RECORDS ABOUT NATIVE AMERICANS IN THE U.S.
Volume 2: Midwest United States
Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet. St. Louis Province. Archives
St. Joseph's Provincial House
6400 Minnesota Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63111
Hours: By appointment only
Access: No restrictions
Copying facilities: Yes
History of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, St. Louis Province:
The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet established the St. Louis Province, 1836. Since then, its sisters have taught at the following Catholic schools serving Native American students:
St. Mary School (Ojibwa), Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan
St. Francis Xavier School (Ojibwa), L'Anse, Michigan
St. Michael Mission and St. Joseph School (Menominee), Keshena, Wisconsin
Nazareth Academy (Cherokee, Creek), Muskogee, Oklahoma
Holdings of Catholic records about Native Americans:
Inclusive dates: 1866-1982, undated
Volume: 1 cubic foot
Description: Included in 3 series.
Inclusive dates: 1866-1982, undated
Volume: .75 cubic foot
Description: Arranged by province and thereunder alphabetically by state:
- Arizona, Komatke, St. John School, 1901-1906, 1913, 1919, 1922, undated, 50 letters: majority of letters are to Mother Agatha Guthrie, C.S.J., and Mother Gonzaga Grand, C.S.J., from Sister Anna de Sales Powers, C.S.J., and Sister Mary Joseph Franco, C.S.J.
- A. Los Angeles Province, 1886-1929, undated, .25 cubic foot:
- Arizona, Tucson, San Xavier del Bac School, 1886, 1898, 1900, 1903-1906, 1910-1912, 33 letters: majority of letters are to Mother Agnes Gonzaga Ryan, C.S.J., from Sister Mary Aquinas Duffy, C.S.J.
- California, Banning, St. Boniface School, 1890-1893, 1903, 1905, 1908, 2 folders:
- Correspondence, 1890-1893, 1903, 1905, 1908, 21 letters: majority of letters are to Mother Agatha Guthrie, C.S.J., from Rev. Florian Hahn and the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions
- Listing of sisters' salaries, 1891-1893; 1 folder
- California, Fort Yuma, Government Indian School, 1886-1901, 1903-1905, .1 cubic foot:
- Correspondence, 1886-1895, 1899-1901, 1903-1905, 145 letters: majority of letters are to/from Mother Agatha Guthrie, C.S.J., Mother M. Julia Littenecker, C.S.J., Sister Alphonse Lamb, C.S.J., Sister Ambrosia O'Neil, C.S.J., the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions, and the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- School statistics, 1886-1900, 1 folder
- California, San Diego, St. Anthony's School, 1886, 2 letters: to Mother Agatha Guthrie, C.S.J., from Rev. A.D. Ubach
- Idaho, Slickpoo, St. Joseph's School, 1906, 1915, 1924-1929, 67 letters: Majority of letters to Mother Agnes Rossiter, C.S.J., from Sister Mary Berchmans Touhy, C.S.J., Sister Madeline Lyons, C.S.J., Sister Mary Borgia Tourscher, C.S.J., and Rev. Joseph Cataldo, S.J.
- St. Louis Province, 1866-1982, .5 cubic foot:
- Michigan, L'Anse, St. Francis Xavier School, 1866, 1906-1907, 5 letters: Majority of letters to Mother St. John Facemaz, C.S.J., from Rev. Gerhard Terhorst
- Oklahoma, Muskogee, Nazareth Academy, 1907, 1911, 4 letters
- Wisconsin, Keshena, St. Michael Mission and St. Joseph School, 1883-1982, .45 cubic foot:
- Correspondence, 1893-1894, 1906, 1911-1912, 1933-1937, 1940, 1944, 27 letters: major correspondents include; Mother M. Julia Littenecker, C.S.J., Mother Agnes Gonzaga Ryan, C.S.J., Mother Mary Agnes Rossiter, C.S.J., and Rev. Zephyrin Engelhardt, O.F.M.
- Annals, 1933-1934, 1938-1940, 1944-1945, 1949-1981, 1 folder
- Financial and statistical reports, 1866-1893, 1911-1915, 1917-1923, 2 folders
- "House Book," 1920s-1982, 1 volume: includes financial reports, personnel lists, clippings and photographs
- "St. Joseph School, 1883-1980," 1 volume: a history of the School using correspondence, photographs, clippings, and school publications
- Scrapbooks, 1950-1975, 1979-1980, photos, clippings, and minutes of school board meetings
- "The Flash of a Firefly," 1973, 1 volume: poems, creative writing, and art by the fifth-grade class at St. Joseph School
- Clippings, 1970s, 1 folder
/2 "Personal Files of the Sisters"
Inclusive dates: 1866-1876
Volume: .1 cubic foot
- Sister Monica Corrigan, C.S.J., "Diary" (copy), 1870, 1 volume: Trip from St. Louis to Tucson and their foundation at San Xavier del Bac Mission, Tucson, Arizona
- Sister John Berchmans Hartrich, "Journal," 1876, 12 pages: Trip from St. Louis to Tucson
- Sister Justin Lemay, C.S.J., "Diary," 1866, 1 volume: describes the trip to L'Anse, Michigan, and the establishment of the school there
Inclusive dates: 1902-1982, undated
Volume: 195 prints
- Arizona, Komatke, St. John Mission and School, 1902, 1904, 1916-1919, undated, 34 prints
- Arizona, Tucson, San Xavier del Bac Mission and School, undated, 2 photos
- Arizona (General), 1902, undated, 5 prints
- California, Banning, St. Boniface School, undated, 1 print
- Idaho, Slickpoo, St. Joseph Mission and School, 1928, undated, 5 prints
- Michigan, Baraga, St. Francis Xavier School, undated, 2 prints
- Wisconsin, Keshena, St. Michael Mission and St. Joseph School, 1924, 1970s-1982, undated, 146 prints
Unless noted otherwise, the repository named above holds (or held) the records described and not the Marquette University Archives. However, Marquette’s holdings, e.g. Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions Records, include related records about these Native and Catholic groups and places.