Administrative History: In December of 1923, a special committee recommended to the University Council that a University Health Service for all students begin the following semester. Joining the ranks of only fifty other educational institutions in the nation, the Health Service intended "to help students entering the University to possess a sound, vigorous, harmoniously developed body in order that his general welfare may be enhanced and his efficiency increased, not only in the University but in later life." In its first semester of operation, the service implemented periodic sanitary inspections for all student housing, physical examinations for all freshmen, and an all-freshmen personal and public health course. Marquette University Hospital housed the student dispensary from 1923 until 1932, at which time the service moved to the newly completed Harriet L. Cramer School of Medicine. In 1978, the Cramer School of Medicine was renovated and in 1981, renamed the Walter Schroeder Health Sciences and Education Complex. The current mission of Student Health Services, to provide health care and education to the Marquette community, has not changed since its inception in 1923.
Directors of the Student Health Service:
Scope and Content: This record group consists of one unrestricted series of administrative subject files, arranged alphabetically.
Restrictions: Access to these records is unrestricted. However, the researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright which may be involved in the use of these records. Consult an archivist for further information.
|Series 1||Administrative Subject Files, 1937-ongoing|