COLLEGE OF JOURNALISM, 1915-1988

(SEE ALSO: A-1.2 Series 3)

Administrative History: In 1910, the first courses in journalism at Marquette University were offered by the Rev. John E. Copus, S.J., in the School of Economics. In 1915, the College of Journalism became an independent unit of the University, and became publisher of The Hilltop, The Marquette Tribune, and The Marquette Journal (see UNIV D-6, Series 2). In 1917, the course of studies in the college was expanded to a four-year program and included cultural as well as journalistic branches of learning.

Both the College of Speech and the College of Journalism were physically relocated in 1975 in the remodeled and renovated Johnston Hall. Here they shared in the facilities common to both academic disciplines. In sharing the facilities and through curriculum studies, the faculties of both colleges found a mutual concern for the growth and place of communication studies.

Consequently, in 1985 a Division of Communication and Performing Arts was created to establish a common year of studies for all entering freshmen in the two colleges. In the fall of 1988, the Division of Communication and Performing Arts and the two colleges were merged into the College of Communication, Journalism and Performing Arts with six departments. In 1994, the name of the college was changed to simply the College of Communication (see UNIV C-19).

Deans of the College of Journalism:
Sharon M. Murphy, 1984-1988
James F. Scotton, 1978-1984
Warren G. Bovee (Acting), 1977-1978
George E. Reedy, 1972-1977
Warren G. Bovee (Acting), 1971-1972
Clifford L. Helbert, 1965-1971
Donald M. McDonald, 1962-1965
Jeremiah L. O'Sullivan, 1928-1962
Rev. John Danihy, S.J., 1915-1928

Arrangement:
This record group is arranged into six main series.
  • Series 1 consists of restricted and unrestricted administrative subject files.
  • Series 2 consists of restricted and unrestricted faculty files, and the professional papers of several College of Journalism faculty.
  • Series 3 consists mainly of records relating to the College of Journalism Student Council and alumni.
  • Series 4 consists of records relating to journalism associations, including the Catholic Press Association, the Catholic School Press Association, Institute of the Catholic Press, and the Catholic Educational Press Congress, among others.
  • Series 5 consists of research materials, presumably assembled by College of Journalism faculty.
  • Series 6 consists of records relating to the college's Alumni Association, alumni reunions, and alumni newsletters.
Restrictions:  Access to select records is restricted to designated College of Communication staff. Otherwise, access to these records is unrestricted. However, the researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming with the laws of libel, privacy, and copyright which may be involved in the use of these records. Consult an archivist for further information.


Series 1 Administrative Subject Files, 1910-1993
Series 1.1 Administrative Subject Files, 1939-1992 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)
Series 2 Faculty Files, 1952-1974
Series 2-ALL Alfred L. Lorenz Papers, 1972-1979
Series 2-WGB Warren G. Bovee Papers, 1940-1998
Series 2-DH David R. Host Papers, 1942-1977
Series 2-EHH Earl H. Huth Scrapbooks, ca. 1930s-1940s
Series 2-AR Albion Ross Papers, 1964-1974
Series 2-LGS Lucas G. Staudacher Papers, 1951-1985
Series 2.1 Faculty/Staff Files, 1910-1989 (Restricted: Inventory in Archives)
Series 3 Student Files, 1929-1975
Series 4 Journalism Associations, 1910-1983
Series 5 Research and Studies, 1949-1980
Series 6 Alumni, 1910-1983