top banner image

Happy anniversary, Raynor!

Martin Sheen at Raynor Library Dedication

Raynor Library opened its doors to the Marquette community for the very first time ten years ago on August 4, 2003. The building received a special dedication a short time later on September 19 with opening remarks given by then-President Rev. Robert A. Wild, S.J. (current interim president), then-Provost Dr. Madeline M. Wake, and honorary degree recipient Martin Sheen. A second dedication was given October 2 to the Francis Paul Prucha, S.J., Archives Reading Room, located in the Department of Special Collections and University Archives.

Ground broke for the Raynor Library building two years prior in October 2001 while the existing Memorial Library building, originally built in 1953 and later enlarged in 1971, received much remodeling of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels. Renovation of Memorial Library was necessary to accommodate both the connecting bridge from Raynor Library and additional space for staff and Science Library material. The Science Library on 16th Street closed as a public facility in 2004 upon completion of Memorial Library's renovations.