A travel consultation is available at the Marquette University Medical Clinic to assist students, faculty or staff who are planning travel abroad.
What to expect at your travel consultation
The consultation will include:
- Personalized preventive health recommendations based on our instant access to destination-specific medical and safety information from over 100 international health resources, as well as updates regarding current disease outbreaks.
- Review of a detailed, country-specific summary covering key health concerns, personal safety risks, travel advisories, and consular/embassy information. Our travel clinic staff have access to real-time comprehensive summaries about health risks in the countries you are visiting.
- Prescriptions for travel medications (malaria, traveler's diarrhea)
What to know and do ahead of time
- Appointments should be scheduled well in advance (at least six weeks) of the travel departure date to help ensure that you receive any vaccinations and antimalarial medication enough in advance to provide adequate protection. (If it is less than six weeks before your departure date and you would still like to schedule a travel visit, please inform us at the time the appointment is made.)
- An initial consultation requires a thirty minute appointment.
- For those with chronic health problems, please request a "travel letter" from your physician that describes your medical conditions, as well as a listing of your current medications. If you will be abroad for a prolonged period of time, you will also need to arrange for an adequate supply of medication as prescribed from your physician's office.
- Bring a record of prior immunizations to the initial appointment.
- Bring a completed Travel Clinic Form to your initial consultation.
What is the cost
Charges* assessed include, but are not limited to:
- Travel consultation fee: $35.00
- Vaccinations given at MUMC
- Physical examinations if required for visas (this must be a separate appointment)
- $30.00 undergraduates, or those who paid the segregated health fee
- $60.00 graduate and professional students, faculty, staff, non-Marquette students
- Medication(s) if they are available to be filled at MUMC. If they are not a prescription will be given to the patient to be filled at an outside pharmacy.
Please be prepared to pay for any charges incurred at the time of the visit. does not bill insurance for travel visits or travel vaccines. Current prices for services, appointments, or additional information may be obtained by calling (414) 288-7184.
*Prices are subject to change.