Marquette's Alumni Memorial Union

F-1 Students

This page provides some general information about United States and Wisconsin taxes on income.  It also provides information on where to get help with questions you may have about the details of completing your tax forms. Staff members at the Office of International Education (OIE) are not tax specialists and cannot advise international students and scholars regarding taxes. However, OIE does invite an IRS official to campus each year to give a presentation on how to file your U.S. tax forms.

IRS Tax Presentation
Thursday, March 27, 2014
1:30-3 p.m.
Marquette Hall, Room 100

Learn about U.S. tax preparation. An IRS official will explain how to file your federal tax forms as well as Form 8843. All international students who studied in the U.S. in 2013 and prior are invited to attend.



The deadline to file taxes is typically April 15. IRS tax forms can be obtained through the links below. Occasionally, the Raynor Libraries and the Milwaukee Public Library offer U.S and Wisconsin tax forms at the entrance.

In addition to the IRS tax forms, you will need a W-2 form from any employers from the past year in order to file your taxes. Employers must provide the W-2 form to their employees by January 31. Marquette W-2 forms can be printed from the “My Jobs” section of the CheckMarq account. Students who were enrolled at another university during the previous tax year should contact the appropriate office at their former campus. Students who were performing OPT or CPT during the previous tax year should contact the human resources office at their former employer.


U.S. Federal Income Taxes – The Internal Revenue Service (IRS)

IRS representatives have stated that all international students are required to file federal income tax returns even if they do not owe any tax payments. These forms are available for printing at the IRS website. Of special interest to international students is Publication 519: U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens and Publication 1915: Understanding Your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, also available at the IRS site. The Foreign Students and Scholars page of the IRS website also provides helpful information.

For students who earned U.S.-source income in 2013, including scholarships, those federal forms are probably the 1040NR-EZ and the Form 8843 or the 1040NR and the Form 8843. The deadline for sending completed forms and any payments is usually April 15.

Students who had no income from the U.S. during 2013 are required to file Form 8843 only. The deadline for sending completed Form 8843 is usually April 15.


Wisconsin State Income Taxes – the Wisconsin Department of Revenue:

The Wisconsin Department of Revenue website is a great resource. Most international students/scholars will need to file the individual Form 1NPR.  However, you should always read the instructions for any tax form to be sure you are using the correct form.


Tax Preparation Assistance and Resources

The following addresses, telephone numbers, and web sites may be useful for additional advice and information.  Be sure to inform whomever you speak with of your United States legal status (such as F-1 or J-1) and your general situation so that you may receive information that is accurate for you:

Internal Revenue Service - The IRS number for toll-free recorded tax information is 1-800-829-1040.

Taxpayer Education and Volunteer Assistance Program, Internal Revenue Service, 211 W. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 53203. You may receive individual assistance by visiting or calling (414) 231-2100. The office is open Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

VITA at MATC provides free tax information and help with preparing income tax returns. MATC will be able to assist international students after March 1. The VITA website will be updated as information becomes available.

The Milwaukee Public Library offers a general tax assistance program to those with a Social Security Card.

Fee-based help for completing your tax forms is available from many websites. 


Other State Forms

If you need tax forms from states other than Wisconsin, you can link to other state websites from the Internal Revenue web site (see information above on IRS). State forms and information materials are available for download and printing.

Remember to keep photocopies of your tax records and filings.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) recommends that these documents be retained for seven (7) years.



Marquette University

Marquette is a Catholic, Jesuit university in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with an enrollment of nearly 12,000 students, more than 700 of whom are international students. Seeking a transformational education, they come from 68 countries — from Canada to China, from Mexico to Malaysia, and everywhere in between.