The department's crime prevention officers present programs on many safety- and security-related topics. Programs are held throughout the school year and by request and are available to all community members.
Some of the most popular programming topics include:
The following options are designed to maintain property security.
- The Parking Services office offers steering wheel locks for purchase.
- Through Operation Identification, electric engravers are available to students to place identifying marks on valuables, such as iPods and other MP3 players, televisions, audio equipment, and computers. The engravers are loaned without charge to members of the Marquette community.
- Home Safe Home is a program designed to provide basic home security and safety information for students living in residence halls.
- Through the Vacant House Watch program, students residing within the patrol zone can have their residences periodically monitored while they are away during academic break periods. Before winter break, crime prevention officers personally deliver Vacant House Watch forms to all residences in the near-off-campus neighborhood. Forms are also available on the department's website. Home security surveys are available to students residing in apartments and houses within the near-off-campus neighborhood.
Student Safety Programs
Safe travel on campus and in the near-campus area is provided by Public Safety's Student Safety Programs. LIMO van and Safety Patrol escort requests can be made by calling (414) 288-6363.
LIMO (Local Intercampus Mobile Operation) Vans
- Eleven vans provide free door-to-door transportation from
5 p.m. until 3 a.m. Sunday-Thursday and 5 p.m. to 4 a.m. Friday and Saturday.
- Vans travel throughout campus and the near-off-campus neighborhood.
- Marquette IDs are required upon boarding.
- There are two express routes: The Wells Express travels westbound on Wisconsin Avenue, then eastbound on Wells Street. The Kilbourn Express travels eastbound on Wisconsin Avenue, then westbound on Kilbourn Avenue. The Express LIMOS operate nightly from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m., picking up those with a Marquette ID at any LIMO stop along the routes. Those walking along the express routes can also flag down a LIMO express.
- An early-morning shuttle is available to transport students to their residences
from 3 a.m. until 7 a.m.
Student Patrol Escorts
- Two-person teams of student employees provide walking escorts nightly
from 5 p.m. until midnight.
- Black reflective jackets or bright yellow T-shirts increase their visibility.
- Two-way radios facilitate the reporting of suspicious behavior and deter crime.
Blue Light Phones and Video Cameras
- More than 300 phones provide direct contact to Public Safety's communication center.
- The phones are available throughout campus and in the near-off-campus areas.
- There are also phones in Marquette parking lots and structures.
- The phones may be used for emergencies and non-emergencies, calls for SSP services, and vehicle assistance.
- Video cameras are located throughout campus and in the near-campus neighborhood.
They are linked to the Command Information Center in DPS and are used to help monitor suspicious behavior and document activity in a given area.
The Victim/Witness Services Unit provides assistance to members of the Marquette community affected by crime or crisis situations, including:
- Assistance in reporting incidents to the university and the appropriate law
- Assistance in understanding the criminal justice system;
- Escorts to related appearances and court proceedings;
- Collaboration with university officials in coordinating class and work schedules to
allow for the necessary court appearances;
- Referrals to university and community service providers;
- Escorts to protect personal safety; and
- Access to emergency cell phones that connect directly to Public Safety.
All officers are trained to provide information about victim/witness services. Officers stay informed of changes in the law and the availability of services s,o those in need of assistance can receive the most accurate and helpful information possible.
Additional Public Safety information