To provide members of the Marquette and surrounding community with a direct means of contacting Public Safety, the university maintains Blue Light and Service phones. Blue Light Phones, most frequently recognized by blue lights on the top of the phones, and Service Phones, most frequently recognized by red labels, are placed through university buildings, apartments, parking areas and the near off-campus areas. Currently, Public Safety monitors more than 300 Blue Light and Service Phones, providing a direct link to the Department of Public Safety Command Information Center.
- More than 400 phones provide direct contact to Public Safety's communication center.
- The phones are available throughout campus and in the near-off-campus areas.
- There are also phones in Marquette parking lots and structures.
- The phones may be used for emergencies and non-emergencies, calls for SSP services,
and vehicle assistance.
- Video cameras are located throughout campus and in the near-campus neighborhood.
They are linked to the Command Information Center in DPS and are used to help monitor suspicious behavior and document activity in a given area.
To operate a Blue Light or Service Phone
- Open the box (where applicable).
- Pick up the receiver or push the red talk button. The phone will automatically ring at Public Safety's Communication Center.
- Talk to the Communications Officer. If you are unable to talk, lift the receiver and leave the phone off the hook or simply push the red talk button. Public Safety will know the phone's exact location and will immediately send an officer to the scene.
- The phone will disconnect automatically upon finishing your call.
Examples for using Blue Light or Service Phones
- Need directions
- Have locked your keys in your car
- Need a jump-start or ran out of fuel
- Need a LIMO or a safety escort
- Have a medical emergency
- Become a victim of or a witness to a crime
- See suspicious activity
NOTE: Blue Light and Service Phones are not only for emergencies but can be used to obtain any type of assistance from Public Safety.
|Marquette Public Safety
||LIMO and Safety Patrol
||Anonymous Tip Line
|Milwaukee Police Department