Note: The Dispute Resolution Specialization is unavailable at this time.

Who is it for?

This specialization trains professionals who want to practice as third-party neutrals in dispute resolution or be knowledgeable participants in the dispute resolution process.

The Center for Dispute Resolution is celebrating its No. 11 rank by U.S. News & World Report. Marquette also has a graduate certificate program in dispute resolution.


The dispute resolution specialization is ideal for:

  • Law
  • Human resources
  • Business
  • Communication
  • Law enforcement
  • Health care
  • Education


To earn a master's degree in public service, students must complete 36 credit hours of course work.

Core courses

Required (12 credits)

PUBS 6000 History and Theory of Leadership and Ethics 3 credit hours
PUBS 6205 Urban Policy and Public Service Administration 3 credit hours
PUBS 6210 Ethics in Public Service 3 credit hours
PUBS 6025 Research Methods 3 credit hours


Constrained electives (3 credits)

PUBS 6051 Contemporary Leadership 3 credit hours
PUBS 6215 Nature of Cities 3 credit hours
PUBS 6220 Organizational Behavior in Public Service 3 credit hours
PUBS 6230 Legal Issues in Public Service 3 credit hours
PUBS 6235 Communication and the Management Process in Urban Service 3 credit hours
PUBS 6240 Urban Public Sector Economics 3 credit hours
PUBS 6995 Independent Study 1-3 credit hours
PUBS 6931 Topics in Public Service 1-3 credit hours


Specialization courses

Specialization courses (15 credits)

DIRS 6600 Mediation 3 credit hours
DIRS 6605 Advanced Mediation 3 credit hours
DIRS 6610 Dispute Resolution Theory 3 credit hours
DIRS 6615 Advanced Issues in Dispute Resolution 3 credit hours
DIRS 6964 Practicum in Dispute Resolution 1-3 credit hours
DIRS 6995 Independent Study (must be approved) 3 credit hours


Integrative Learning Options

Integrative Learning Options (choose one)

Professional Project

  • Six (6) credits of a professional project. This course is taken three credits at a time, preferably in two consecutive semesters. The professional project courses are generally not offered during summer.

There are basically two (2) options for a professional project.

  1. Work independently with a faculty advisor and possibly an organization to produce a research based service or product.
  2. Submit for publication to a peer reviewed journal the findings from a research study, which has been supervised by a faculty member.

Comprehensive Exams*

  • Thirty-six (36) credits of course work followed by a comprehensive examination. Students will take: 12 required credits, 3 credits from constrained core electives, 15 credits from specialization courses, and the final 6 credits should be approved by the program advisor.




Contact College of Professional Studies

Email the college

Marquette University College of Professional Studies
707 Building, Room 403
P.O. Box 1881
Milwaukee WI 53201-1881
Phone: (414) 288-3153 or (800) 793-6450, extension 2
FAX: (414) 288-3298